Dear mailing list & developers --

    I am looking for hints on the best way to proceed in creating a
grid/mesh for a rather complex geometry. I am just looking for which method
(Gmsh or something else?) to start with, so I can most efficiently start
coding without exploring blind alleys.

I am solving an elliptic/advective problem of the form

        0=J(Psi,A(x,y)) + \Del(B(x,y)*\Del Psi)

where Psi is the variable to solve for, and A(x,y) and B(x,y) are
coefficients known on a set of discrete points shown as black in
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/382250/Grid01.png . The black appears
solid because the grid is dense.

The locations of the points where the coefficients are known define the
grid. The number of points is large (911130 points) and they are evenly
spaced where they exist. Note that there are holes in the domain that
represent actual islands in the ocean.

I am happy to keep the resolution of the grid/mesh equal to the spacing of
the points where the coefficients are known.

What is the best way to approach creating a grid for this problem? I would
love code, of course, but would be very happy with suggestions of the best
way to start.

Thanks
Jamie Pringle
University of New Hampshire