I think that a purpose of the spate of articles in medical journals -
particularly in the 1990s, trying to show that firearms are a public health
problem - was to try to make this topic a legitimate area for
physician/health professional inquiry and intervention.

  We can argue, and I do, that it was poor quality research and slanted to
substantiate the researchers prior convictions against firearm ownership -
but it was published in medical journals which were not open to the "other
side" as an editorial policy.

  Might a health care professional today cite that literature as a
justification and successfully defend against a boundary violation?

--henry schaffer