It seems to me the Miranda principle cuts in precisely the
opposite direction.  Recall that Miranda applies only when a police officer
questions a suspect who is in custody.  Even though a police officer always has
some degree of coercive authority, non-custodial questioning isn't governed by
Miranda.  On top of that, it's not illegal for the police officer to question a
suspect without Miranda warnings even when the suspect is custody; it's just
that the statements can't be admitted at trial against the suspect.

                Patients aren't in custody; they aren't under arrest, or
otherwise coercively restrained by the doctor.  They are free not to answer
questions, and I'm pretty sure they already know they are free not to answer
questions.  (What's going to be happen if you don't answer - you'll get
prosecuted for "obstruction of medicine"?)  This is the sort of situations
where no warnings are required even when the questions are asked by police
officers who carry guns and who have the power to arrest you.  And the theory
is that Miranda somehow provides justification here for restricting the
doctor's First Amendment rights?  I don't see that.

                Eugene