From: firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Jon Roland
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:09 PM
To: firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Doctors asking patients about guns

There is another issue being neglected. A patient needs to be able to trust his
physician. If he is concerned about the physician reporting on him to the
authorities, he won't seek treatment or cooperate in a way needed for effective
treatment. There is a reason for doctor-patient confidentiality. If the
government requires physicians to report they will get fewer reports rather
than more, and more persons who need treatment, including dangerous persons,
won't get it.

Classic unintended consequences.

-- Jon

Constitution Society               http://constitution.org

2900 W Anderson Ln C-200-322           twitter.com/lex_rex

Austin, TX 78757 512/299-5001
jon.rol...@constitution.org<mailto:jon.rol...@constitution.org>