> 09.05.2011 18:48, Leyne, Sean wrote:
> >>     I disagree. Shadow is the only method for synchronous replication
> >> in Firebird now.
> >
> > Synchronous replication on a single server is not replication.
>
>    Don't forget about NFS and iSCSI(?).

Shadow was designed as an early software RAID solution, designed to support HDD
failure scenarios.

iSCSI is remote file storage protocols.  There is no need for the primary
database to have Shadow enabled.

With NFS you could have multiple classic servers sharing database access, what
is the role of Shadow in that case?

In either case, you can have a single database file hosted by the remote
storage, with that storage having appropriate HDD RAID solution and still
support a near-line failover of the database server without the need for Shadow.

Sean