Being able to spread a database across multiple files is a great
feature when moving large databases on devices that do not support
large file support - such as 32GB thumb drives that still use a form
of FAT32 for their file system.    Sure we can format them up with a
different filing system but then compatibility across platforms
becomes an issue.

I have no problem with the loss of shadowing, but, multiple files are
a must for the near future (next 10 years or so)