> 1 - you are still using a Win98 system and so NTFS isn't supported???

NTFS is not supported on some forms of solaris, linux and other OS's
we have in the office - windows is not the only operating system on
the market and many standalone devices only support the win98/fat32
formats due to MS licensing of NTFS.

> 2 - you can't afford *$40* CDN for a *1 TB* external USB2 storage device???!!!

Still does not help when moving files from one set of OS's to another
- even when going from the same type of device to another, you do not
want to have to reformat your USB sticks every time you start the move
process - it is easier to have a simple set of script that work and a
universal filing system that comes standard on all usb thumb drives/sd
cards

> 3 - given the limited write life of MLC flash memory cells* (3500 writes),
> not to mention speed, there is no way that a USB flash drive should be
> considered as an appropriate primary storage for any database file.

I never said it was a primary storage medium, I am saying as a
migration medium - as gbak breaks depending upon the version (there
was a time you could backup and restore in a single command all using
pipes, but that broke depending upon the version of FB.   Then you
could break a backup across multiple files and restore from multiple
files, but again, that is broken on various releases) so sometimes the
only safe way to break up a database and ensure being able to access
it is via multiple files.

> *USB Flash drives do not have the same amount of over-provisioned memory as
> SSDs (or the same smart memory controllers) which means that the write life
> span of a flush drive is very limited (really intended as read memory).

Does not apply when using it as sneakernet