> It is feasible to roll over the transaction ID without putting the database
> offline? i.e. when ID is close to limit, reset it to 0 from the code?

In theory there is a "simple" code change which would provide you another 6
months breathing room.

But there is no permanent solution which is currently available, and none that
will be available in 6 months.  You will need to perform a backup/restore at
some point.

The "simple" solution is to change the datatype of Transaction related
variables from SLONG* to ULONG. The reality of this solution is, unfortunately,
far uglier given the testing required to confirm that all references have been
changed.

Sean

* for the life of me I don't understand why signed types where used for
variables which could only contain positive values -- this is a common problem
which is throughout the codebase.