>Nobody needs more than 4 billions active transactions concurrently.

But that's not what you'll get, because you can complete transactions
and get a hol, as it were.  Can a process grab a transaction id and hold
onto it 'for ever' without messing up the system in other ways that
preventing the reclaim of ids?

Have to say, I can't see a good reason to use 32 bit ids.  While
physical disk seek speeds are not increasing, many disks can go rather
fast and so long as you don't seek IO of larger amounts of data isn't
too costly.  I guess the biggest effect is to reduce the effective cache
size in caching disk ontrollers.  And 'disks' certainly are getting
much, much faster as we see SSD takeup.