On 3/3/2016 2:30 PM, les...@lsces.co.uk wrote:
Initially when I ran websites, the normal practice was to save everything in the database, pictures, pdf's, documents, and so on. The databases soon got too large and while just having one file to back up was nice, NOT using blobs for that content was a lot easier. Rsync to backup machine, including a nightly backup of the 'real' data. The cross over point is perhaps when you need to do a text search, but even that is easier if a pdf or doc is preprocessed to provide a copy as simple text. Which nowadays is what ends up in my blobs. Replace vast blob zone with the native file system?

Where i can see a useful segregation is archival data which will never be modified. Would be very usefull if all that could be backed up on a Slow cycle, and only the real dynamic data kept in the primary table space? But one can do most of that by having multiple databases anyway?

You know, that's a really good idea. Disk is almost free, too cheap to meter (so to speak). Store something once and just don't worry if it goes out of style...

Sent from my android device so quoting is crap ... need to kill these painful email clients!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Harrison <a...@qbeast.net>
To: For discussion among Firebird Developers <firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 18:37
Subject: Re: [Firebird-devel] RFC: Tablespaces

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Jim Starkey <j...@jimstarkey.net <mailto:j...@jimstarkey.net>> wrote:

    >> Non-goals:

    >>   2. Store blobs in other than the table's data space.
    >     Why not allow blobs to be separated from regular data ?

    OK, reasonable question.  Obviously they could, but it would require
    either storing small blobs off page or changing the mechanism used for
    blob ids, or both.  It also runs the risk of the records and blobs
    diverging, which is very, very bad.

    I think the benefit of separating records and blobs is quite limited.
    Large blobs have at least their rear end stored on blob pages that
    aren't scanned for exhaustive retrievals.  Moving them to a separate
    data space within the same table space so they don't share the record
    number space with records is well worth considering.

I think the problem is with the size of backups and the amount of time
taken by a backup/restore for a database with a significant number of
large blobs.

Cheers,

Ann