On 03/28/2016 02:09 PM, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> On 28/03/2016 06:24, Alex Peshkoff wrote:
>> I think that we do not need that additional problems and therefore
>> should not change existing dumb method to generate tarball as long as we
>> do not have same quality with new one.
>>

> But for *who* you generate tarballs with this script?
>
> To put a link to sources for people download?
>
> Do you think this is intuitive now with github?
>
> I think it's not.
>
> We should point people to github page or directly to the download zip
> link from them.

Somewhy that zip link is awfully slow - download took 2m 12s (compare
with Firebird-3.0.0.32366-ReleaseCandidate2.tar.bz2 at SF mirror, 24s)
which is also far from ideal (I have 60 MBit/s connection) but a few
times better than github. That's one more argument why I do not want to
replace tarball with direct github download). But I see no problems
providing both links, if people prefer github zip download let them use it.

> BTW, a good info for README.md should be how to build (specially the
> non-standard Windows procedure), as this is the most important thing
> people looking there want to see.

Yes, certainly.