On 3/28/2016 10:25 AM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 28.03.2016 16:16, Jim Starkey wrote:
>> nothing else was more suitable.
>     But still clone of Firebird repository is 10 times bigger than its
> sources.

That's an interesting question.  I don't know the answer, but somebody
should research it -- maybe there's a fix.

My guess is that however history was uploaded to git short circuited
git's various compression and delta schemes.  Git, for example, tracks
files by hash, not date, so files unchanged from commit to commit and
branch to branch aren't duplicated.  Other systems keep full copies of
everything.  Maybe in the long path from CVS this didn't happen.

But you're right, the Firebird repository is huge, but it was huge
before git.  My last snapshot took about forever on an extremely fast
line.  Maybe this can be fixed, maybe not.  And if not, maybe history
can be truncated with stuff bordering on the archaeological stored in a
different repository  from the merely historical.