On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:49:53AM -0400, Jim Starkey wrote:
> On 3/28/2016 10:25 AM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> > But still clone of Firebird repository is 10 times bigger than its
> > sources.
>
> That's an interesting question.  I don't know the answer, but somebody
> should research it -- maybe there's a fix.
>
> My guess is that however history was uploaded to git short circuited
> git's various compression and delta schemes.  Git, for example, tracks
> files by hash, not date, so files unchanged from commit to commit and
> branch to branch aren't duplicated.  Other systems keep full copies of
> everything.  Maybe in the long path from CVS this didn't happen.

Few days ago I noticed that some tags, e.g. R2_5_4 or R2_5_5 are not
only on B2_5_Release branch but do actually have much less common
history with it than I would expect (e.g. "git log B2_5_Release..R2_5_5"
gives me 9260 commits). This is probably an artefact of the import from
SVN but it might mean we effectively keep multiple copies of some parts
of the branch.

BtW., "git gc --aggressive" reduced the size of my local repository from
462 MB to 155 MB.

                                                          Michal Kubecek