24.03.2017 1:29, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> To me the behavior described under "actual" intuitively sounds like the
> correct behavior. Why do you expect that the column value
> would change to 'ABC'?

   Because Firebird doesn't update old records when new field was created.

> The column was created with a default, which means that existing rows will
> get that value,

   Engine doesn't assing values to a new field, i.e. there is no implicit
UPDATE of
the existing records. This is strong point of the engine, btw.

> afaik it shouldn't change if the default
> later is changed. Is there a requirement in the SQL standard that supports
> your expectation?

   I doubt SQL standard describes Firebird multiversion metadata handling

Regards,
Vlad

PS Avoid dumb overquoting