On 21/11/17 16:42, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

> If you need that, you also need to store the actual timezone somewhere.
> PostgreSQL for example also uses an offset for timestamp with timezone
> (not sure if that is required by SQL standard though).

Firebird currently works nicely simply because you have UTC time and can
add a second field for location which will provide ACCURATE details for
displaying local time. Offset only timestamps are simply wrong for many
reasons! But we need a working tzdist source network before anyone can
reliably work with timezone data live. The fact that offsets change year
on year make storing anything with an unqualified offset dangerous and
the version of TZ data used to create the offset is as important as the
offset itself.

That said, I've not seen what the current SQL standard is proposing,
just what does NOT work when sourcing data from other databases.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL