On 2017-11-21 17:49, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 21/11/2017 14:16, Lester Caine wrote:
On 21/11/17 14:55, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
Implementing TIME WITH TIME ZONE and TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE datatypes
as specified in the SQL standard is not a big problem.
The only question is just how is the timezone data managed. It is
useless simply having an offset value when large areas of the planet
still use daylight saving. If I move a meeting from March to April I
need to know the real timezone, a simple hour offset is no good at all.
It's the same old problem as the offset provided by a browser ...
useless for half of the year ...

Time offset may be specified at absolute value (+/- HH:MM) or by region
(PST, EDT, etc).

Timezone abbreviations are imprecise and ambiguous (as there are multiple zones with the same abbreviation, like EST is that in Australia or in Canada, IST is that India or Ireland, etc), if we want to support named timezones (and I think we shouldn't), then at minimum the standard long-form names (eg Europe/Amsterdam) should be supported

Region uses daylight saving data.

Technically those have their own short names (eg CET vs CEST), which is another reason not to use them.

I'm going to focus on absolute value only for start.