On 2017-11-21 17:52, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 21/11/2017 14:42, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

If you need that, you also need to store the actual timezone
somewhere. PostgreSQL for example also uses an offset for timestamp
with timezone (not sure if that is required by SQL standard though).

Each "TIMESTAMP-TZ" has a hour/minute offset associated with it. It does
not only store an absolute value in GMT/UTC.

The offset can be EXTRACTed with TIMEZONE_HOUR / TIMEZONE_MINUTE.

I know that, but I was specifically talking about the case you want to know which timezone rules to apply.

For example UTC+02:00 in June can be for example Europe/Amsterdam (and a lot of others applying the same rules now, but the past is a lot more 'fun'), or Africa/Khartoum which applies different rules.

I'd even say the intricacies of time zones rules and their changes would be a reason why Firebird should purely be offset based, and leave actual timezone logic to applications themselves.