On 01-06-2020 16:07, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
On 2020-06-01 16:54, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 01-06-2020 11:57, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
Legacy approach of pre-initializing with well known to the world password is very bad idea. Not to tell much words about security - have you ever seen unix distro with pre-initialized root password?

Our installers all try to do the best possible to initialize SYSDBA. What about completely automatic initialization - yes, we can do it and save new random SYSDBA password to firebird.log. But I doubt that this is better solution compared with existing - how can novide guess where to search for that password?

I'm not talking about creating a user, I'm talking about initializing the security database so the necessary tables for SRP already exist. That should not necessitate the creation of a user (and if it currently technically does require that, then that is a deficiency that should be addressed).

That's trivial - but what do we win with that?

We prevent the entire subject of this discussion: an unnecessary error message about the installation not being complete where the normal 'Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database administrator to set up a Firebird login.' error would suffice.

Mark Rotteveel