On 2021-02-02 11:14, Tony Whyman wrote:
There is an important point sitting here for support of legacy
applications. While a standalone x86 Firebird Server is likely to be
of increasingly little interest, an x86 client library may need to be
supported for much longer. This then gives rise to the question: what
about the embedded server. Does that have to be available for x86?

The question is, do those use case even update/upgrade their Firebird installs? I'm continuing to be amazed by people steadfastly continuing to use - for example - Firebird 1.5, 12 years after its last release (and even then, they are sometimes not even using the last 1.5 release).

That said, continuing to provide a 32 bit client library is probably warranted, if only to prevent issues with client applications and tools (for example, FlameRobin 64-bit was broken, not sure if it still is, while 32-bit worked OK).

For Embedded, I think that people still needing 32-bit and Embedded, are likely not using the latest and greatest version of Firebird. A policy that says for example that Firebird 4.0 is the last to provide x86-32 builds might be good enough.