> I'll bet you are right, but what does this mean as more and more folks
> move to VISTA, will all my users have to have admin rights to run any
> software that accesses Firebird embedded?  As more and more businesses
> are locking down admin rights, our software opportunities will be more
> and more limited :(

This is something that you'll have to take up on the firebird developer's
list, I believe, since it's not really a problem with the .net provider as
such.

Note that you don't actually need Administrator rights, the Administrator
account has "Create Global Objects" by default (and since Local Security
Policy is not affected by UAC, you don't need to "Run as Administrator"),
but you can assign that right to a limited user and things are still quite
effective.

As I said, though, this is not just a Vista problem: the privilege was
introduced in Windows XP SP2. So it would also affect you running as a
limited user account in a fast-user switching environment (you can try it
out by logging in to Windows XP, then doing "Switch User" and logging in as
a limited user -- you will get the same error). It's just more prevalent in
Vista because nobody runs in session 0 any more.

Dean.