--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alec Swan wrote:

> Vlad, the large files have fb_sort prefix. But we also see a lot of small
> fb_lock files.

  They could be left only if engine was not shutted down correctly.

  fb_sort_XXX files left means application was crushed.

  fb_lock_XXX files are per database and will be reused at next connect.
I don't think it is an issue unless you works with different databases
every time. Note, since v2.5 Firebird embedded doesn't put lock files
into temp folder, so this files was left by another embedded Firebrid
version.

  Make sure you close all attachments before program exits. It would be
the best if you call fb_shutdown() before exit. Also, you can cleanup
that files at your program startup before first call of ISC API.

> Lester, we are a Windows-based shop and most of our customers have FB
> databases are under 200MB. There are just a few that have 10-20GB databases.
>
> Our customers need the ability to put those files on a separate disk and
> restrict their cumulative size. TempDirectories setting would have been
> perfect for it, but I can't get it to work with embedded Firebird.
>
> If its is supposed to work in embedded mode then I will spend more time
> making sure that I am not doing something wrong before taking any more of
> your time.

  It must work. Sooner of all engine can't find firebird.conf. For v2.5 it
should be placed at the same folder as fbembed.dll.

Regards,
Vlad