Vlad,

Actually, FB correctly deletes fb_sort file used by a transaction after the
transaction completes. However, we have a lot of long-running concurrent
transactions which generate a lot of large fb_sort files. Moreover, when
our customer rebuilt indexes they ran out of system disk space (since this
is where %TEMP% points to) and left FB in corrupt state.

I am using Flamrobin and set TempDirectories in firebird.conf in the same
directory as flamerobin_unicode.exe. Let me test it in other environments.

Thanks!

Alec

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM, hvlad <hv...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> **
>

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alec Swan wrote:
> >
> > Vlad, the large files have fb_sort prefix. But we also see a lot of small
> > fb_lock files.
>
> They could be left only if engine was not shutted down correctly.
>
> fb_sort_XXX files left means application was crushed.
>
> fb_lock_XXX files are per database and will be reused at next connect.
> I don't think it is an issue unless you works with different databases
> every time. Note, since v2.5 Firebird embedded doesn't put lock files
> into temp folder, so this files was left by another embedded Firebrid
> version.
>
> Make sure you close all attachments before program exits. It would be
> the best if you call fb_shutdown() before exit. Also, you can cleanup
> that files at your program startup before first call of ISC API.
>

> > Lester, we are a Windows-based shop and most of our customers have FB
> > databases are under 200MB. There are just a few that have 10-20GB
> databases.
> >
> > Our customers need the ability to put those files on a separate disk and
> > restrict their cumulative size. TempDirectories setting would have been
> > perfect for it, but I can't get it to work with embedded Firebird.
> >
> > If its is supposed to work in embedded mode then I will spend more time
> > making sure that I am not doing something wrong before taking any more of
> > your time.
>
> It must work. Sooner of all engine can't find firebird.conf. For v2.5 it
> should be placed at the same folder as fbembed.dll.
>
> Regards,
> Vlad

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional