Yes, that basically is how it works; at least for me :-)
I  do  assign  new  users  to a given role, sometimes to more than one
role. This can be done using DML.

The  administrator on site (which happens to be myself in my case *g*)
only  has  to  set  up the client logic (for example creating some new
DSNs per user if ODBC is used)

> Thanks Andre for your views. I think I am getting an idea on how I might
> go about your suggestion to RL_Writers, which I can create on the
> development database copy. This role then can be taken to the production
> database via the utility that manages other DML operations.

> The users that are already there or a newly created then can rely on
> this RL_Writers without me worrying on the production copy of who the
> end users might be. Please correct me if I have not followed your
> suggestion.

> Let me see how this goes.

> Kind regards
> Bhavbhuti

> On 03/12/2012 07:06 pm, André Knappstein wrote:
>>
>> It's not possible the way you describe it. You can't have any group
>> of users, which are not SYSDBA, automatically privileged for DML as
>> soon as a relation is created or its metadata was changed.
>>
>> You need to explicitely "grant" the privileges.
>>
>> For this purpose though, you can easily set up *one* role, for example
>> "RL_Writers". You still need to create all users, and assign them to
>> that role. Whenever you create a new relation, all you need is one
>> more command "grant all on <relationname> to RL_Writers".
>>
>> have fun!
>> André
>>
>> > Hi all
>>
>> > Presently I do not create users in FireBird and rely on the sysdba
>> > login to auto update data structures and user data-entry from the
>> > application. I know this is not good but had to get things forward.
>>
>> > I need a couple of types of users in FireBird. One, are the
>> > data-entry users. They should be able to add, edit, delete and
>> > query records via the application. What kind of a FireBird user is
>> > this? They need to get access to all the tables and fields
>> > automatically as and when created/updated for data purposes.
>>
>> > Another, is the sysdba. This user is required when the app is
>> > updated and the DML are executed via the utility to update
>> > structures. Also required for connecting to the database for
>> > updating the Remote Views to work on the data in FireBird in the
>> > application. Password to this sysdba is a concern too, I am fine to
>> > just change it and not create a full admin on the production
>> > database but am open to suggestions but am looking towards a lot of
>> > automation using DML via a utility just for this purpose.
>>
>> > Ideas and advise please.
>>
>> > Thanks and regards
>> > Bhavbhuti

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

André Knappstein
EDV und Controlling
beta Eigenheim- und Grundstücksverwertungsgesellschaft mbH
Hafenweg 4
59192 Bergkamen-Rünthe

Telefon: +49 2389 9240 140
Telefax: +49 2389 9240 150
e-mail:  knappst...@beta-eigenheim.de

Amtsgericht Hamm Nr. B 420
Geschäftsführer: Achim Krähling, Dirk Salewski und Matthias Steinhaus

USt-IDNr.: DE 125215402

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: