On 12/7/12 2:36 AM, Venus Software Operations wrote:
> Does it mean that a single user can login using various roles that may
> have been setup?
Yes. If a user has been granted several roles then any one of those
roles can be used by that user when connecting to the database. The user
can also have several connections to the database, each using a
different role. The idea is that a single user can act in different ways
at different times by specifying the role they will be playing each
time. When they are performing tasks that do not require some privileges
they can connect using a role that does not have those privileges
granted to it. Later they can connect with another role that does have
those privileges to perform some other tasks that require them.
> What does the default blank role for sysdba mean?
> That if the data-entry user if they login without a role will have the
> same powers as sysdba?
No. Roles attach additional privileges to the user's account. With no
role specified the user is left with the privileges granted to their
user account only.

Roles provide a pretty good system. I wish multiple roles could be
employed at the same time over the same connection but that's about the
only improvement I would like to see.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: