Although this question is probably better asked on the devel list, I am asking
it here since other might benefit from the discussion.

I am thinking of deploying both an 'standard' and embedded SuperClassic engine
on client systems, and wonder what configuration/issues I need to know about.

The change in v2.5 of the embedded engine to SuperClassic from SuperServer
means that the embedded engine no longer needs exclusive access to the database
file.

Background:

Although we deploy standard server installs, there are times when we need to
ensure that no external connections (ODBC) can connect to local databases while
we perform database maintenance.

Our current approach is:
-       stop the Firebird server
-       rename the database,
-       perform the maintenance using DB tool,
-       restore the database filename.
-       restart Firebird,

Proposed approach:

Deploy standard server installs, but also deploy embedded DLL into application
folder for our maintenance tool.

So, our deployment approach would be:
-       stop the Firebird server
-       perform the maintenance using DB tool,
-       restart Firebird,

Questions:

-       is the above possible?
-       If so, are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of?

Sean