Carlos,

> LS> Although we deploy standard server installs, there are times when we
> LS> need to ensure that no external connections (ODBC) can connect to
> LS> local databases while we perform database maintenance.
>
> Can't you just put the database in "single shutdown" mode before doing the
> maintenance?
>
> PS: I'm assuming your "normal" user doesn't connect to the database as
> SYSDBA/OWNER.

External applications use a "normal" users, our internal applications use
SYSDBA.  We want to even control our own applications from accessing the
database

(our apps are services, so a remote admin could naively start the service, when
we are doing maintenance)

> LS> Deploy standard server installs, but also deploy embedded DLL into
> LS> application folder for our maintenance tool.
> LS> So, our deployment approach would be:
> LS> -       stop the Firebird server
> LS> -       perform the maintenance using DB tool,
> LS> -       restart Firebird,
> LS> Questions:
> LS> -       is the above possible?
> LS> -       If so, are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of?
>
> Other apps using an embedded engine would also be able to connect to the
> database during the maintenance. Not a problem if you are sure that no
> such apps exists, but you know Murphy...

True.

We have pretty strict control of the client systems which our application is
installed on, so the possibility of this issue (for us) is less than 0.00001%

Sean