> All other database engines that I have worked with provide password
> protection, even SQLite, which is used primarily for desktop and device
> applications.

I'm not familiar which the technique SQLite uses.

But either they are using the password to encrypt database or it is an
fake protection and anyone can use an modified SQLite to access that
database which is simply ignoring password.

> I agree that the best way to protect any such database file is either through
> internalized encryption, which I believe is now offered with Firebird 3.xx or
> complete file encryption.  However, would it not be easy enough for the
> Firebird Development Group to simply implement the security constructs for
> the embedded edition as it is for its server-side siblings given that all
> such editions are primarily the same?

Even the "server side security" is meaningless once the illegitimate
user does have direct access to database file.

Your idea sounds like the "security by obscurity" approach used in some
closed-source systems as e.g. MS-Access - ask google how to remove that
password protection. That approach is worth nothing in an open source
context.

Elmar

  • [firebi... Steve Naidamast blackfalconsoftw...@outlook.com [firebird-support]
    • Re... Elmar Haneke el...@haneke.de [firebird-support]