I've struggled for years trying to verify my site with Google.

How on earth can they make something so complicated as many people who are
not computer experts struggle with this issue.

They do say to paste the meta tag into the home page head section before
the body, but finding that code on my wordpress site has been an epic
journey as I'm not very computer or html  savvy.

I had someone else build the site for me a few years ago and I have
struggled every time technical issues come up.

Anyway, I came across Firefly and I thought I finally had the answer.

While I was on my home page I clicked on the firefly bug and there was the
code for the home page.........

The very first line above the home page code said  *Paste your Google
Webmaster Tools verification code here* and I thought I'd hit the jackpot.
There was the spot my verification code was supposed to go after looking
for it for several years and I was even being told exactly where to put it.

So I did what it said and copied and pasted my google generated meta tag
code into the spot.

I can't believe what happened next.

If you go to my site  www.Ironstruck.com   you will see near the top of the
page(and the rest of my visitors from around the world I guess) in very
bold black and white the words.................*Paste your Google Webmaster
Tools verification code here*

What the!!!!

Now my website is screwed up because of this  and I have absolutely no idea
how to get that text off my home page.

The worst part is, the meta code I copied in the spot I was directed to is
no longer there when I checked back with firebug.

The same words are back again..........*Paste your Google Webmaster Tools
verification code here*

So although I copied the correct meta code into the right spot there seems
to be no way to save the change and it just reverts back to the same *Paste
your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here* and the meta code has
disappeared.

So I have two questions......

1)How do I fix my homepage and get *Paste your Google Webmaster Tools
verification code here* text out of there?

2)If that is indeed the correct place to put my verification code, how do I
get it to stay there? How do you save the change you make to the code when
you use Firebug?

I really need help with this, because I should not have that printing on
top of my home page.

I'm afraid someone will see it and take it as an invitation of some sort
and screw around with my website.

I tried Wordpress and they don't have any support for their customers.

Thanks in advance.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebug/86431627-fbf8-4c97-841a-aa89a05a2ac3%40googlegroups.com.