Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for the explanation, however, browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 is
set to *true*, rather than false as you suggest. Status = *user set*, but I
did not change this manually or install/modify any add ons recently (for
quite a long time actually). Additionally none of my other active add-ons
were updated since Jan 2017 and Firebug was missing after this time.
Firebug itself was last updated Mar 1, 2017, but I expect it did not make
the change itself since it has accepted its fate (also I am pretty sure it
was missing after March since I only recently noticed its resurrection).

I do notice that Adblock Plus, which I have had disabled for years, states
that it was last updated June 7, 2017. Are disabled add-ons updated
automatically and can they change settings?

A bit of a mystery. Sorry to cause alarm. I did not realise the
multiprocess function could be controlled via the configuration because I
recall seeing a compatibility version of Firefox, which I understood to be
for this purpose.

Thank you again and for providing the useful links.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebug/ccebf717-9b08-46e3-b71e-38bbb7127b92%40googlegroups.com.