Dear Bob,

Perhaps, you can explain a bit and provide examples of apophatic
considerations which can be relevant in explaining ecosystems.

I find it not difficult at all to find sociological examples. For example,
the communication of meaning (unlike the communication of information)
cannot directly be observed, but entertaining this hypothesis enriches our
understanding of the phenomena. In sociology, Giddens, for example, has
called this a focus on "instantiations". Social structures remain latent,
and accordingly operate in a virtual reality. In other words (Husserl) one
can consider these orders of expectations res cogitans as different from res
extensa.

Is there something similar in biology? I assume that Maturana would deny it
because the focus in the theory of autopoiesis is very much on the
observables and observed information as different from expected information.
I always thought that this was a biologistic a priori, but you seem to say
that in biology there is also room for assuming that unobservables are
important for the explanation. I can easily see that this may cross the
borderline of becoming obscure. How does one prevent that?

It would be most helpful if you can provide examples.

Best wishes,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/