Dear Joseph and FIS colleagues,

"When we look at a biological system we are looking at the face of the
underlying physics of the universe... The picture is not one of of
simple upscale percolation. The higher levels act down scale on the
lower levels to redefine their fundamental characteristics... the flow
of influence is thus circular as well as vertical, with multiple inner
loops. The circularity is imperfect; complete self-consistency is never
attainable..."
This appears in Conrad (1996, BioSystems vol. 38 p. 108).

I think that more important than the concrete advancements along the
fluctuon model guidelines is the validity of the pioneering vision. It
was this "vertical flow of percolating information" what inspired in
early 90's the creation of FIS and a new dialog including the social
sciences and the humanities, not restricted to the biological and
ecosystems domains. Beyond the "biomimetic" horizon of Complexity
theorists and Artificial Life schools (then in their peak), this type of
reflection was proposing a new informational perspective to be extended
to the inner generativity of multiple realms in the scientific
enterprise (not to start a new reductionist game, but to offer a
fresh-new player in the whole social recombination of knowledge).

Some trends in information physics are undoubtedly running very close to
this direction (see for instance Lee Smolin's books; or "Decoding
Reality" on quantum information science by Vlatko Vedral, 2010) rather
unfortunately ignoring this pathway. It could be argued that some
parties in Systems Biology are also running along this trend. And
leaders of "advanced" Artificial Intelligence are nowadays proposing a
reflection on the nature of Intelligence that conduces to reconsider
information itself and the foundations of information science in a
general sense.

Perhaps in this general framework our more detailed discussions (eg,
about info signatures) or the extent of Shannon's Theory, or the
plausibility of cellular (quantum?) intelligence, or how to articulate
social information sciences... or my unanswered question on the
materiality of the microphysical laws of nature themselves --as
information that acts on information--- appear with more cogency.

all the best

---Pedro

Joseph Brenner escribió:
> Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
> The following "impressionist" recap is intended not as a critique, but
> simply to perhaps help organize the continuation of this fascinating
> discussion.
>
> For me, almost all the notes have illuminated aspects of the
> "Foundations of Information Science", where participants have
> re-presented their theories developed over many years. Some of the new
> interactions, such as those between Robert U., Loet and Koichiro,
> deserve development in their own right.
>
> However, my and Kevin K.'s basic question of whether /new evidence
> exists of any interaction between the world modeled by fluctuons and
> the thermodynamic world/ has in my opinion not been answered. If none
> of us has this knowledge, then we must somehow "send a mission" to
> those who might have it that could report back to us. I do not
> consider myself as competent enough in physics to simply rephrase
> Conrad's statements from the papers available.
>
> In relation to this, it is helpful when participants indicate their
> basic positions about Conrad's /kind/ of theory. Steven did. There is
> also the idea of a "physics-neutral" theory. Perhaps a total picture
> of information can be built up without /any/ reference to the
> structure (or lack of it) of the sub-quantum world?
>
> I disagree, of course: microphysical laws will, I believe, define the
> information about information "in reality" that Pedro refers to. This
> thread, that includes Karl's approach to physics and logic, needs to
> be explored further. It is possible, (by now I guess it is reasonable
> to assume most of you know my view on this), that information cannot
> be defined completely by reference to a sentential logic such as that
> proposed by Karl. Further, I am very curious, and would welcome
> comments on in relation to information, about progress in the theory
> of dissipative systems that has been made /since/ Prigogine, such as
> the catastrophe theory of Thom and Petitot (itself rather outdated).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Joseph
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pedro C. Marijuan"
> <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. Gómez Laguna, 25, Pl. 11ª
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Telf: 34 976 71 3526 (& 6818) Fax: 34 976 71 5554
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es