From: "joe.bren...@bluewin.ch" <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
To: karl.javors...@gmail.com; Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>;
fis@listas.unizar.es
Sent: Sat, 22 January, 2011 7:32:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Fis] Info Theory

Dear Karl,

The assumption I would like to check that we share is that existence and energy
are primitive and numbers something derived.  When one moves from the quantum
vacuum or singularity into the thermodynamic world, as soon as change occurs,
something is no longer totally itself; there is something new along side of it
in 4D space-time. The number of entities has increased, and this is the
situation is the reality of which addition is the model. Iteration, which also
occurs in reality, does the rest. If I understand you correctly, you feel that
numbers, once available and manipulated in more complex ways, can model many
other things, especially, of course, aspects of information.

If a numerical perspective is convenient and even necessary for an
understanding
of nature, I would still like to know if it is sufficient. Are you able to
capture, in your information theory, for example, the informational processes
involved in:

·         emotions
·         creativity
·         anti-social behavior (rational and irrational)
·         complex political processes
·         your own theory?

I think it would make for a more interesting and productive discussion if you
were to tell us where your theory does NOT apply, rather than let us raise
naïve
objections to which you already have clear answers. I would like to know, for
example, which of several possible approaches to the definition of a "logical
object" are involved; at what point the limitations of machines become
determining; and under what conditions one should seek to maximize (because
valuable) heterogeneity as  opposed to homogeneity. Very interesting
discussions
can then be envisaged at the “boundaries” between different approaches.

Thank you and best wishes,

Joseph