At 01:41 PM 1/24/2011, Gavin Ritz wrote:

Hi there Stan

SS: Info theory presumably applies to everything and anything.

GR: It was never intended to apply to anything but communication instruments. That is sending English language down a pipe.

Sorry, but it has already been done by people like Wheeler, Gell-Mann and Hawking. You are not going to win against them.

Also, much broader usages have been developed over time in many other disciplines than physics. Shannon invented communications theory, which is a branch of information theory. Information was used more broadly before his work (e.g. Schroedinger, Szillard) in organic chemistry, thermodynamics and biology.

GR: In my opinion it still only does, I cant get my head around how say information theory actually applies to direct human communication or organic sensing systems.  All our sensing systems are energy transduction systems, once inside the individual it 's moved via Na/K pumps aided by ADP to ATP conversions to the brain all electrical, chemical energy. So in the environment it's just a sound (phonon) or light (photon) or chemical or heat energy where are the bits (information theory part) or markers. They are just not there.

Unless this information is what underlies energy and is what makes up the rest of the universe including dark matter and dark energy. And is also what underlies the theory of Geometricdynamics.(Relativity theory)..?????? How so I would not know.

Information has to be interpreted. It does not come with meaning, attached, though standard conventions, habits, biological predispositions and  the like can obscure this.

The full relation between information and energy still needs to be worked out, I believe. However, information can be used to do work with no additional energy input (see some past posts on this topic), which suggests a very close connection.

Regards,
John

Professor John Collier, Acting HoS  and Acting Deputy HoS
               colli...@ukzn.ac.za
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://collier.ukzn.ac.za/