Hi there Loet
If the information exchange is provided with meaning, then this is probably
just
a qualitative aspect of entropy production. However this is not Information
Theory.

The Relation between energy and information theory is 0.693kT (k is the
Boltzmann constant and T is the temp in kelvin) Joules/bit this however is for
machine not a living organism.

Knowledge transfer systems are Imperative Logic Systems hereto totally
uncounted
for.

Regards
Gavin

Dear colleagues,

It seems to me that the relation between information and energy provides the
special case that the entropy is thermodynamic entropy. The relation is S =
k(B)
H. H is dimensionless, but S is not because k(B) adds the dimensionality of
Joule/Kelvin. H can also be considered as probabilistic entropy. S is relevant
in the case that the system of reference is the chemico-physical one based on
collisions among particles. This level – the exchange of momenta and energy –
is
always involved in higher-order exchange processes, but the next-order ones
emerge on top of the lower-order ones.

For example, when specifically molecules are exchanged, life can emerge
(Maturana). The self-organization may also reduce the uncertainty locally
(“negentropy”). The system of reference, however, then is different from the
chemico-physical one. The information exchange is provided with meaning.

Things change dramatically when meaning can again be communicated because then
models can be entertained at a more rapid speed than the underlying (that is,
modeled) systems. The redundancy generation can then prevail over the entropy
generation and a knowledge-based economy, for example, maintained. The
discursive models proliferate options other than the ones which occurred
historically. This cultural system incurs on the historical manifestations and
thus counteracts upon their following of the entropy law. The social system,
for
example, can be based on other premises than the lower-order ones. For example,
the “survival of the fittest” can be replaced by universal human rights.

In other words: the specification of the system of reference provides the
information exchanges with meaning. This meaning can again be communicated
reflexively in the respective disciplines. The systems can be expected to gain
in their capacity to process complexity insofar as these different layers
become
more nearly decomposable. This expansion spans the different dimensionalities
and thus can be expected to enlarge the space for knowledge-based
interventions.

Best wishes,
Loet

LoetLeydesdorff
Professor, University of Amsterdam
AmsterdamSchoolof Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CXAmsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/