Two replies in one message, to Michel and Gavin. I hope that this will
count as my second in the week ending today, Sunday, so I have another
two slots in the week beginning tomorrow, Monday.

Saturday, September 24, 2011, 11:07:58 AM, Michel wrote:

> Thanks also to Robin Faichney for the example of information in
> physics, that I would comment a bit (not joking).
> I can understand that a two states system such as a spin can be viewed
> as carrying a bit of information.
> This is a good example of application of information theory to a
> physical system. This class of examples is nice because it takes
> benefit from the rigorous definitions available in the field, which
> can be found in textbooks (Cover, Renyi, etc.).
> However, since we assumed that information theory is a subfield of
> information science (in addition to be a subfield of probability
> theory), we also need very simple examples of information outside the
> field of information theory.

Michel, maybe that was a bad example, misleading because of its binary
nature. My understanding is that physical information is material
form, re-conceptualised, and so the spin state, like every other
physical attribute, not just the binary ones, IS information
(non-semantic information), as and when it suits us to view it that
way, i.e. to focus on form rather than substance.

Historically, the concept of non-semantic information, or "pure
pattern", arose in the context of information theory, but to focus on
form is a basic human capacity, and given the concept of non-semantic
information, however that arises, it is a small step to apply it to
material form, which thus becomes pure pattern whose transformations
are governed by the laws of physics.

So material form is like data and the totality of physical laws is the
program that operates upon it. The operations are, in principle and in
general, reversible, and so physical information is conserved, like
matter and energy. (I believe there is a strong consensus within
physics that physical information is conserved in quantum mechanics.)

In a certain sense the laws of physics "stand in" for substance, which
is what constrains material form in our ordinary thinking. When we
think in terms of pure patterns constrained by physics, every physical
entity embodies its own description, and (which is to say almost the
same thing) encodes the outcomes of all of its potential interactions.
This is a very powerful way of thinking.

Gavin: I agree with you that there is no such free-standing,
"thing-in-itself" as information, but that doesn't invalidate the
concept, far from it. Information is, in my view, basically form, and
form doesn't exist without substance, but we work with form, ignoring
substance, all the time, and achieve great things by so doing.

--
Robin Faichney
<http://www.robinfaichney.org/>