There's very much a law that tells us how much energy it takes to transmit
one bit of information. It has been used in radio astronomy for years.

Regards

Gavin

Dear Michel,

It seems to me that Shannon's formulas are mathematical and yet

content-free. By the specification of a system of reference they can be

provided with dimensionality and then also meaning. For example, in the case

of the momenta and positions of particles H is multiplied with k(B) [S =

k(B) *H] and thermodynamic entropy [Watt/Kelvin] can thus be defined.

Momenta and energy are in this case exchanged upon collisions. S measures

the dissipation in the non-ideal case.

This is a specific (physical) theory of communication. If molecules are

exchanged life can be generated (Maturana); if atoms are exchanged, chemical

evolution can be expected.

It seems to me that the general scheme is the specification of (i) WHAT is

being exchanged -- this specifies the domain theory -- and (ii) HOW one

expects to be exchanged (e.g., dissipative or conservative, recursive or

incursive, etc.), and (iii) WHY. The why question bring us to evolution

theory; for example, the selection environments for the variation

(uncertainty) can then be specified as hypotheses.

Best wishes,

Loet