Dear Bob,

I read the book of Anthony Reading on Meaningful Information, but I am a bit
disappointed. It seems to me not a good idea to uncouple information from
uncertainty and probabilistic entropy, and to use energy-transfer instead as
the lead metaphor for information. The objection that two kinds of entropies
are otherwise introduced (on p. 148) reveals that the author has not really
studied the issue because thermodynamic entropy is expressed in Watts/Kelvin
and probabilistic entropy in bits, and the two can be related transparently
via S = k(B) * H. Furthermore, we have the notion of negentropy of Brillouin
(1962), and the elaborations of Ashby, Krippendorff, and others about the
difference between entropy and information.

Thus, we have a much richer apparatus. The other objection that one should
focus on forms is also not a major one, because any form can be written as a
multi-variate probability distribution and thus introduced into information
theory as a calculus. A geometrical form, for example, can be represented as
a three-dimensional probability distribution. Information theory furthermore
allows for combining the static and dynamic analysis into a calculus
(Bar-Hillel, Theil).

In my opinion, Shannon-type information can be considered as only a series
of differences (in a probability distribution), and a “difference which
makes a difference” (Bateson) can be considered as “meaningful information”,
but requires the specification of a system of reference, for which the
meaningless differences can make a difference. This can be operationalized
as “negentropy” (Delta-H or minus Delta-H). The difference which makes a
difference can reduce the complexity or add to it. J

Since differences can be made at each moment and over time, we obtain a
difference(1) which makes a difference(2) at each moment  and a
difference(3) over time. If the system of reference is able to recombine
differences (2) and (3), a difference(4) can be envisaged that can be used
for the self-organization in the present. It seems to me that the different
senses of meaningful information and meaning can thus be distinguished,
operationalized, and measured (in bits), and at a more abstract level than
only in a biology.

Best,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net  <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> ;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/ ;
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ
<http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en> &hl=en