Dear Robert and FIS colleagues,

On 12 Nov 2012, at 16:35, Robert Ulanowicz wrote:

> Dear Pedro,
>
> Roman & Littlefield is coming out with a volume along those lines
> entitled "Beyond Mechanism"
> <http://www.academia.edu/1141907/Beyond_Mechanism_Putting_Life_Back_Into_Biology
>

> As for our Chinese colleagues, I find them more open to non-mechanical
> scenarios than are anglophones.

The problem is that few people defending mechanism are aware that
mechanism is incompatible with weak materialism (the primary existence
of a physical universe, that is more or less the current dogma/
paradigm). Most proponents of Mechanism have still the 19th century
conception of Mechanism, which is refuted by theoretical computer
science/mathematical logic.

Mechanical entities are intrinsically related to non mechanical
scenario. You cannot genuinely be open to mechanism without being open
to the non-mechanical. Most predicate applying to machine are
undecidable, non mechanical, etc. Machines, notably when they are self-
observing, are confronted to the non mechanical, and *can* overcome it
by relying on non mechanically generable informations.

I am not defending Mechanism, but as a logician I do invalidate
widespread misconception on machines, and notably I try to explain
that Digital Mechanism (computationalism) is quite the opposite of
reductionism. I would even say that it might be used as a vaccine
against reductionism in the exact and human science.

Mechanism, in the weak sense I am using, is quite plausible, as there
are no evidences against it, but this does not mean that Mechanism is
a good *explanation* of anything. On the contrary, I prefer to look at
it as a tool, perhaps a simplifying tool, to *formulate* the problems
(notably the mind-body problem), to explain it is not yet solved, even
in that simplifying frame, etc. We are very ignorant of what are
machines, and probably so, in case we assume we are ourself Turing
emulable (with or without oracles).

> All three of my books are being
> translated into Chinese. The first one, "Growth and Development:
> Ecosystems Phenomenology" has already been published.

Congratulation !

Best,

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/