Dear Bob et al.,

I take semiotics as the science of meaning, which I separate from the science
of information (information theory?).  Along the line of your argument,
meaningfulness would be exclusive to dynamical systems where agency, purpose,
and self-interest have emerged.  When such a system encounters a bit of
physical information it might or might not apprehend the bit.  It can only
apprehend the bit if something about the system's dynamics is changed as a
result of the encounter.  It would only be meaningful to that system if it is
“a difference that makes a difference”.  In other words, if the change in the
system’s dynamics affects system function in some way, then that bit of
information was meaningful to that system.  The example of the gravitational
pull of the sun on the earth can be considered in this framework.  The first
think I would say is that there are plenty of systems in and on the earth, but
the planet itself does not necessarily constitute a system.  A big rock
floating in space does not imply an internal system that could apprehend or
change dynamically in response to gravitational pull.  On the other hand,
dynamical geological processes within the earth, biological/ecological systems
on the earth, or weather systems in the atmosphere might qualify; and these
system could potentially apprehend and respond meaningfully to the sun’s
gravitational pull.  On the other hand, the information encountered as a result
of exposure to the gravitational pull might be entirely transparent to (not
detectable by) some of these systems.  At least this is how I think about this
interesting issue.

Cheers,

Guy

Guy Hoelzer, Associate Professor