Dear colleagues,

The metaphors are sometimes confusing. For example:

Along the line of your argument, meaningfulness would be exclusive to
dynamical systems where agency, purpose, and self-interest have emerged.

I would further limit meaningfulness only to the cultural domain. Meaning
can be provided by human agency. Sometimes meanings can be codified at the
supra-individual level. The ascription of meaning by us to non-human
behavior (of animals or molecules) does not mean that these non-human
operate with meaning. As Maturana would say: it is "as if" a semantic domain
is shaped (in second-order consensual domains).

When such a system encounters a bit of physical information it might or
might not apprehend the bit.

A bit is dimensionless and not "physical". Probabilistic entropy is
different from physical entropy (S = k(B) * H). The physical dimension
(Joule/Kelvin) is provided by the Boltzmann constant. Bits are thus
non-physical: not res extensa, but res cogitans (cogitatum).

It can only apprehend the bit if something about the system's dynamics is
changed as a result of the encounter.  It would only be meaningful to that
system if it is "a difference that makes a difference".  In other words, if
the change in the system's dynamics affects system function in some way,
then that bit of information was meaningful to that system.

This can lead to the measurement and testing of hypotheses.

The example of the gravitational pull of the sun on the earth can
 be considered in this framework.  The first think I would say is that there
are plenty of systems in and on the earth, but the planet itself does not
necessarily constitute a system.

This is an empirical question (depending on the research question).
Systemness can be tested, using for example, the Markov property.

A big rock floating in space does not imply an internal system that could
apprehend or change dynamically in response to gravitational pull.  On the
other hand, dynamical geological processes within the earth,
biological/ecological systems on the earth, or weather systems in the
atmosphere might qualify; and these system could potentially apprehend and
respond meaningfully to the sun's gravitational pull.

Very metaphorical "apprehension" and "response". One could also use "react"?
Or do you mean "significantly" instead of "meaningfully"? Significance can
be tested statistically.

On the other hand, the information encountered as a result of exposure to
the gravitational pull might be entirely transparent to (not detectable by)
some of these systems.  At least this is how I think about this interesting
issue.

Best,

Loet

Cheers,