Dear Xueshan and colleagues,

Your points about hierarchies are quite interesting. Let me remind
however, in my second message of this week, the discussion in last month
about "momenta" and "itineraries". It is another way to approach the
hierarchy discussion that comes closer, I think, to the enormous variety
of contents that one can find in those different realms. Aligning the
different momenta, as I understand that Nikhil has been proposing for
those self-organizing instances, discards the rhetorical excesses and
allows a better concentration on the essential topics. One can arrange
an autonomous "informational entity" in many ways, provided that the
necessary communication and self-production activities are properly
intertwined so that they allow sufficient adaptation to the changing
environment. Life has been playing that game endlessly, so we find
plenty of parallels ("momenta to align") with most of our
social-informational problems. For instance, in the organization of
metabolism, the use of inner "depots" as a backup of the whole metabolic
network (ATP, GTP, and a few others) strongly reminds the currency
problem --from a different angle, not just from the ecosystemic one or
from the gut microbiome. It is clear that advancing on the
sustainability problems has to be socially distributed, and put both
into the accounting of States, and of the companies and Institutions,
and even more into the citizenship at large. A new scientific
description on how info circulates among all those realms, via
individuals and e-machines, is not an easy matter at all. It belongs
more to the parlance of "phase transitions", and even more to the
"organismic" dimension mentioned below. And so... in this juncture we are!

Best--Pedro
PS. to Nikhil, in Jared Diamond book (Guns, Germs...) there is an
excellent table summarizing the "info inventions" necessary for
societies to transcend the basic complexity of natural groups. It is
another way to approach the theme you deal with in last message.

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Tfno. +34 976 71 3526 (& 6818)