Dear FISers,

I agree with Loet's views (for once! :-) ). The energy flow supporting the biosphere and society as a whole have not much explanatory power regarding the bonding complexity of contemporary societies. Of course, it is an interesting exercise, particularly concerning the limits of sustainability, but we have had so much thermodynamic inflation that it is very difficult adding anything relevant. Irrespective of its sophistication, the energetic realm can hardly substitute for the informational realm. About the intriguing interrelationship between kinship and nonkinsip modalities of human bonding, a very interesting view was drafted by Francis Fukuyama (1995), centered on "trust". He was distinguishing between "familial" centered societies and "high trust" societies. In European terms (exaggerating), it is the dichotomy between the Mediterranean societal culture and the Anglosaxon culture. It is not a black and white narrative, as each polarity has advantages and disadvantages (think on wine & Mediterranean food!), and actually today each country and each culture has some terrible mix of everything, but it is interesting just to see how the two kinds of bonding may interact within a complex society. I also penned a few ideas about the matter in my recent "How the Living is in the world" (DOI information: 10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2015.07.002.) I am copying below a paragraph (maybe a little bit long--excuses). /

This coarse reflection on the dynamics of successive “informational entities” helps us make sense of fundamentals of social evolution. The transition to a new social order, more or less ‘revolutionary’, tends to be produced by new information channels and communication practices that support the emergence of new ways to organize the structures of social self-production. Thus, the development of social complexity appears as irreversibly linked to a chain of historical inventions for communication and knowledge generation: numbers, writing, alphabet, codices, universities, printing press, books, steam engines, means of communication, computers, Internet, etc. (Stonier, 1990; Hobart and Schiffman, 1998). This succession of fundamental inventions has dramatically altered the “infostructure” of modern societies, and subsequently the informational formula for being in the world has been applied with multiple variants along that complexity runaway: with plenty of room generated by the new information tools, not at the bottom but at the supra-individual top. We should not forget that the momentous Scientific Revolution was preceded by what has been called the silent “corporate revolution” (Huff, 2011), which opened the way for collective organizations legally autonomous in European cities during XIII and XIV centuries: universities, parliaments, counsels, municipalities, professional colleges, guilds, mercantile associations, charities, schools, etc. It was this Medieval awakening in the cities of Western Europe what made possible the later hyperinflation of autonomous collective organizations, –“information based”– growing exponentially and propelling all the further complexity of modern societies./

All the best--Pedro

Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I don’t consider it as fruitful to recycle the argument that society were to be modeled as a meta-biology. The biological explanation can perhaps explain behavior of individuals and institutions; but social coordination more generally involves also the dynamics of expectations. These are much more abstract although conditioned by the historical layer. For example, one cannot expect to explain the /trias politica/ or the rule of law biologically. These cultural constructs regulate our behavior from above, whereas the biological supports existence and living from below. The historical follows the axis of time, whereas the codification (albeit historical in the instantiations) also restructures and potentially intervenes and reorganizes social relations from the perspective of hindsight.

In analogy to codifications such as the juridical ones, scientific knowledge provides the code for technological intervention. This type of knowledge is human-specific; perhaps, we are also able to build machines that mimick it. This technological evolution is going on for centuries. If I look up from my screen, I look into the gardens which have a typical Dutch polder vegetation. The polder was made in the 17^th century and replaced the natural ecology of marsh land and lakes. The order of the explanation was thus inverted: the constructed structures (instead of the constructing agencies) increasingly carry the system. The constructs don’t have to be material; see my example of the rule of law. It is not a religion, but a dynamics of expectations. Replacing it with a biology misses the point.

Best,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net>; http://www.leydesdorff.net/ Honorary Professor, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>, Hangzhou; Visiting Professor, ISTIC, <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html>Beijing;

Visiting Professor, Birkbeck <http://www.bbk.ac.uk/>, University of London;

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en <http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en>