On 10/8/06, Martin Bähr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 10:45:13PM +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> > the fish syntax needs
> > to be changed so that a backslash before a newline is ignored even
> > when inside quotes, which is not the case today.
>
> what does that mean?

Currently, a backslash followed by a newline is interpreted as a
newline in fish. This means that you can write e.g.

pwd\
pwd

and it will execute the 'pwd' command twice.

However, this is not true in a quoted environment. Writing

echo "hello\
goodbye"

Will output

hello\
goodbye

and not

hello
goodye

I'm proposing we change this, in order to make it possible to save a
multiline command in the history by backslash escaping all newlines.

> > Once the history problem is fixed, the new config file reshuffle is
> > done, and ^K and various other keyboard shortcuts are made to operate
> > on a single line and not the entire buffer, all known fish regressions
> > should be fixed, and one can start thinking about a new fish release.
>
> as in 1.21.13 or 1.22?

I definitely think the next release should be 1.22.0. Multiline
editing and the proposed new file layout are big enough features to
warrant the version bump.

--
Axel