On 10/8/06, Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> Currently, a backslash followed by a newline is interpreted as a
> newline in fish. This means that you can write e.g.
>
> pwd\
> pwd
>
> and it will execute the 'pwd' command twice.
>
> However, this is not true in a quoted environment. Writing
>
> echo "hello\
> goodbye"
>
> Will output
>
> hello\
> goodbye
>
> and not
>
> hello
> goodye
>
> I'm proposing we change this, in order to make it possible to save a
> multiline command in the history by backslash escaping all newlines.

This does not sound appealing from the point of view of syntax
simplicity.  Having to escape backslashes gets complicated.  Inside
quites at least, text should be taken at face value as much as
posible.  This is violated with the $-construct, but there should be
as few exceptions as possible.

How abot this.  Write a comment with a time stamp before each command,
that begins with a signature like "fish command executed at " or
something like that.  It would be easily parsable and documented.
Then perhaps the backslash escapes can be avoided.