On 11/3/06, Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> I see a simple solution: when the cursor was in the first line and you
> press Up, you should land you at the *first* line of the previous
> command, not the last.  Similarly, Down should land you in the last
> line of the next command. This way, consecutive Up or Down presses
> will  navigate the history one command at a time, while retaining the
> ability to one line at a time within a command. [...]

So if the cursor is on the first line, pressing <Up> would search for
the whole command up to the cursor (as currently), but if the cursor
is on any other line, it would search for single lines containing the
string from the start-of-line till the cursor.  And likewise with
<Down> on the last line.  Right?

> [...] It gives you
> kind-of-modal functionality without really adding modes - the only
> state is the position of the cursor, which should be obvious enough.

I think this is almost as modal as my suggestion for moving among
lines of the same commad -- in both cases the behavoir depends on the
cursor line.  And for both a separate keyboard shortcut is probably
still a better solution, despite the great number of shortcuts.
Something like:

    Up = search backwards for command containing the substring from
the start of the current command till the cursor
    Shift+Up = search backwards for line containing the substring from
the start of current line till the cursor
    Shift+PageUp = scroll the output up one screen (in common
terminals and terminal emulators)
    Control+Up = move cursor to the previous line (similar to
Control+Left = move to prevoius word)

or

    Up = move cursor to the previous line (as in an editor)
    PageUp = search backwards for command containing the substring
from the start of the current command till the cursor
    Control+PageUp = search backwards for line containing the
substring from the start of current line till the cursor
    Shift+PageUp = scroll the output (in common terminals and terminal
emulators)

> The only price you pay is that switching directions while browsing the
> history still requires going through all the lines of a command (but
> Alt-< / Alt-> should solve it).

Switching direction is a pretty common operation, right?  And having
to move the cursor to the beginning is a bit complicated, I think.