On Apr 4, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:

I don't know what impact, if any, the method I'm starting fish has, but
I'll explaining it now.  Because of the setup I'm using ( yp/nis ) my
shell is set to tcsh, so my
$HOME/.login ( for tcsh ) contains:

if ( `/bin/uname` == Linux ) then
    # start fish
    exec "$HOME/local/bin/fish" -l
else
     #define path
     # path set,  omitted for email message
endif

I can't set the shell to bash because we have a mixed of Linux, Solaris
and IRIX environment.

Though if necessary, I can set the shell to sh.

Hi,

I'm still here.  I was out of work Thursday, the April snow storm hit us pretty hard.

I've updated how I start fish, now /bin/sh starts fish on linux.  I rarely using the others.  The $HOME/.profile contains this:

if [ `/bin/uname` == "Linux" ]; then
    # start fish
    exec "$HOME/local/bin/fish" -l
else
    exec /bin/tcsh
fi

Today ( Friday ) I haven't hard any crashes, so far.  However on one of our RHEL 4 machines when I start fish I get these messages:

fish: Wide character -65493 has no narrow representation
fish: Wide character -64641 has no narrow representation
fish: Wide character -65500 has no narrow representation
fish: Wide character -1 has no narrow representation
fish: Wide character -65493 has no narrow representation

and my prompt looks like ( you'll note the weird characters after blackstar ):

However when I log into other machines ( RHEL 4, or other distributions ), I get the normal looking fish prompt, nor do I get any Wide character messages.   Any idea what is causing these message.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention in my original email: fish rocks! :)

Thanks,

| Steven Knight                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
| UNH Research Computing Center                 603-862-3042  |