Here's mine:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~berdario/+junk/dotfiles/view/head:/fish/prompt.fish

(I make also use of workon_funcs.fish by Bruce Kroeze in the same repo)

it checks for both hg and git branches, but only when the previous one
is a git or hg command (thus, potentially changing the current branch)
or if the pwd changed
thus avoiding to launch an expensive dvcs command (otherwise
noticeable if you're in a directory and keep the enter key pressed)

it also adds the last exit status at the end of the prompt, if !=0

I still want to clean it up a bit though... especially the switch for
the root user that I kept from the original prompt function