On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Luciano ES wrote:
> Kind of a long, annoying story...
<snip>
> I uninstalled this old version of fish completely with tcsh, then
> installed the latest version from compiled source.
>
> Bad news: fish still complains about the lack of GLIBC_2.15 and refuses
> to go any further.
>
> Now, please consider: do you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY have to require
> GLIBC_2.15 for fish to do its job? After all, 1.23.1 is working fine
> with glibc 2.13, and who knows what older versions people have out
> there. Do you want or do you not want more people to embrace this shell?
>
> I am definitely not going to go through a system-wide upgrade just
> because of fish. I need this machine to work, which involves Windows on
> VMware, every kernel upgrade is a freaking headache and nightmare, so
> it's not an option.
>
> Please consider.

fish is working fine compiled against glibc 2.11.3 here, and it builds in
versions maverick to quantal against the version of glibc in the Ubuntu
archives for that version.

The package on ridculousfish's webpage does require 2.15, but that's only
because it's built against that version.

If you are definitely running a version you have compile from source, what
version of libc6-dev do you have installed?

David Adam
zanc...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

PS: having broken libc on a Debian shell server for a couple hundred
people, I feel your pain :-)