On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, Luciano ES wrote:
> I just updated fish from the Debian Jessie repository.
> Now, everytime I hit arrow up to search the history, I get this:

> luc[11580-0]/> commandline: Unknown option \u201c--paging-mode\u201d
> /usr/share/fish/functions/up-or-search.fish (line 9):   if commandline
> --paging-mode
>                                                               ^
> in function \u201cup-or-search\u201d,
>         called on standard input,
>

>        commandline -- set or get the current command line buffer
>
>    Synopsis
>        commandline [OPTIONS] [CMD]
>
> commandline: Type \u201chelp commandline\u201d for related documentation

> (The ^ error mark sits right under "commandline" in case you're
> not viewing this with a fixed size font.)

You need to restart all running instances of fish.

What happens is that the old version of fish (2.1) is trying to load the
files that dpkg has installed from fish 2.2. Unfortunately, those files
include features that the old version of fish does not support (like
commandline --paging-mode).

I have been thinking about a way to make this story a bit better as it
bites us both during upgrades and during development if you are trying to
run more than one version at the same time.

David Adam
zanc...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au