Your testing suggests the problem is not deterministic. Which is not
surprising since SIGINT handling has always been slightly flakey. But there
is absolutely no way commit f4476100 can "restore proper ^C behavior." Just
do `git log -p -1 f4476100` to see that it cannot possibly change the
behavior of fish since all it does is change a comment. In fact, it
shouldn't even change the probability of hitting the problem since it
should not even change the code that is emitted. I have to wonder if there
is something wrong with your testing methodology. Having said that, I can
reliably reproduce the problem starting with commit ab189a7 thru git head
and cannot reproduce it prior to that commit. Both on macOS 10.12 and
Ubuntu 16.10.

--
Kurtis Rader